4 0 4 - 3 7 0 - 8 0 0 7

The Blackwell Law Group, LLC

How is child support determined?
  • Child support is calculated by combining the income of both the Mother and Father.  The court determines what is the annual gross income of both parties and enters those numbers into the support calculator.  This is done to determine the amount to be paid by the non-custodial parent.  The law allows certain factors to be taken into consideration when arriving at a final support obligation.  The court will not consider a factor if it is not determined to be in the child's best interest.  If you believe your child support payment is lower or greater than what it should be, give us a call to schedule a consultation to discuss it.

How much will my family matter cost and how long will it take?

  • The cost of a family matter case depends on the complexity of the issues presented.  If both parties agree to work together and be transparent and honest regarding financial income, a family matter can be less expensive because less hours are spent ensuring an equitable outcome.
  • The length of time will also depend on the issues to be resolved, but the length will also be dictated on the willingness to communicate with the other side toward resolution.  If parties insist on being heard by a judge you have to keep in mind that their are many cases the judge has to hear.  If your case is not high on the courts calendar you may be waiting for quite some time.  However, if you are open to discussing your matter with a mediator, your matter can be resolved rather quickly.

What do I need to bring to meet my lawyer?

  • You will need to bring all documents necessary to resolving your matter.  If you are ready to retain your lawyer be prepared to jump in and get  started.  If you have an existing order, that needs to be given to your lawyer for review.  That will provide the attorney with a better understanding of your particular case.  You need to bring your financial documents and possibly a copy of your credit report to determine assets and liabilities.  If you have children involved, you need to provide school records so that we can assess if your children are thriving under the current arrangement.  To determine what is specifically needed in your case give us a call at 404-370-8007.

Can I represent myself in my family matter without retaining an attorney?

  • Nothing precludes you from representing yourself in your family matter.  The question you have to ask yourself is...."If I needed an operation or a medical procedure performed that would dramatically change my life, would I or could I do it myself?"  It is the same concept.  Family matters are composed of many layers and can be confusing as well as emotional.  You must be able to skillfully navigate through the process to reach the goals you are trying to attain.  Your lawyer has familiarity with the legal system to help you through the process as quickly as possible.  Although this may be your first domestic matter, it is not the first time for your lawyer.  Your lawyer is your guide through this challenging time.  Your lawyer can negotiate on your behalf and assist you in reaching an agreement that anticipates life changes that you may not have anticipated or considered.  Do not attempt something of this magnitude yourself.  Schedule your appointment with The Blackwell Law Group, LLC and see how we can assist you.


Do not try to deal with these types of cases on your own, they are too important and you cannot afford any mistakes.

Schedule a consultation today with an Attorney that can help you.


I have shared custody of my children but I want to move to another state. What do I do?

  • It is possible to relocate to another state with the children.  In order to do so you will have to obtain the consent of the other parent.  Most parenting plans foresee the possibility of a parent relocating.  If the parents are unable to agree the court will consider what is in the children's best interest.  If you find yourself dealing with this issue, then the attorneys at The Blackwell Law Group, LLC will be able to assist you.

Can visitation be terminated for non payment of child support?

  • No.  Georgia child support laws and visitation rights are mutually exclusive and are separate legal matters.  A parent cannot withhold visitation because they are not receiving child support.  In the alternative a father who has not obtained a court order for legitimation is not entitled to visitation because he is paying child support.  If you have been denied visitation because of this very issue call now to schedule your consultation at 404-370-8007.

I am ordered to pay child support but I lost my job and I cannot afford to pay.  What should I do?

  • In general it depends on the date of your order for child support.  If you have not had a change or modification of child support in the last two (2) years you can seek to have your child support lowered.  If you suffer a job loss the law allows for a modification of child support even if child support has been modified within a two (2) year period if you meet certain criteria such as involuntary loss of income.